It's been a minute since I've been in this space and as such I've got a lot on my mind to share! While I love sharing here, I always appreciate your patience when I step away for a bit. Sometimes life gets busy and I've decided this is always something I can step away from so that I can better serve my family, better serve my clients and just all around better serve myself.
In full disclosure this little blog of mine is just a hobby, a place to house my recipes so I always have access, a place to sort through my own thoughts and a place to share some hard earned wisdom I've picked up along the way. I don't ever intend to monetize it or fill it up with sponsored posts. I recognize and applaud the huge effort that takes for those who pursue that course and I also recognize that I don't have the capacity to give that to this space.
A few things on my mind as we head into the weekend:
1. I toured some incredible model homes this week and they had some of the most fun artwork I'd seen in awhile. It was graphic in its nature & for the first time in a long time, it stirred something in me. Trying to find a window where I can step back into graphic design mode and create some pieces for our home. Believe it or not...I haven't designed one thing for the walls in our current house. Perhaps the tide is turning and I'll get back to it.
2. Screen Time. I've touched on this on my stories too and you guys had so much feedback! It's so nice to know that these things are all on your mind too! I'll tell you what, we aren't perfect at it, so please don't think I've got it all figured out! The thing that best helped me was listening to Katy McPherson (I think that is how you spell her name!) She said something in a presentation I attended that stuck with me. She advised to stop always dancing around it, set the guidelines and stick to them, end the constant negotiation because that is where all the contention is. She was right. So this summer, I set clear guidelines and stuck to them. At first allowed games on Friday only, and it worked great until the 1 time I allowed an exception on a random Wednesday. Well guess what started up again? Negotiating every single day. After that, we just took Fortnite away all together as that seemed to be the one game they all had an insatiable desire for. Now I don't have to hardly monitor it because they aren't interested in playing Mario for more than 30 minutes anyway. We've almost always had a no iPad rule, so that's been a non-issue. I'd love to hear what's working for you?! Feel free to comment here.
3. Christmas. Yes, I'm already thinking about Christmas. Mostly if I want to switch it up all together and leave town instead of wrapping my brains out. Have you ever traveled for the holidays before? Pros? Cons? Do tell!
4. Chore Charts: I received about a million requests for links to the chore charts we are using -- I'll tell you 2 things: I love them and I need to improve them. Working on the improved version and once they are done, I'll link them up so you can use them as you'd like.
5. Avocado Toast. I jumped on this bandwagon and I'm not getting off. I've got two varieties that I love. Next time I whip them up, I'll try to snap a pic so I can post the recipe for you.
6. Simplify. This is becoming my new approach to, well, everything. If it's not life ruining, well I'll consider not worrying about it. Case and point: we are unapologtically, eating avocado toast for dinner once a week.
7. Suits. Have you watched this? I'm on season 4 and I can't get enough. Prior to Prince Harry I had never heard of Megan Markle. I felt it my civic duty to do my due diligence by watching Suits...it doesn't disappoint. ;)
8. Offering yourself Grace. I had a simple out patient procedure last Friday and have taken it a bit easier this week. Sleeping in until 6:15 instead of my usual 5 am and I've enjoyed every little bit of it. Next week, I'll head back to my normal routine, but I'm glad I took a minute to just rest. It's needed and necessary.
9. You. Yes you. You're on my mind. I received a couple emails this week that were so similar and it has me thinking about you. This perhaps deserves an entire post but the long and short of it is this: YOU ARE CAPABLE. Of whatever you want to pursue. You. Are. Capable. Of. Greatness. Every single one of us is capable of incredible things. Each of those things might look a little different, but gosh if I could talk to you in real life, I'd wrap my arms around you and tell you, you can do it. You can create a life you love. It will require you to change and stretch and grow. It will be uncomfortable at times, but holy heck, it will be worth it. If you're thinking of pursuing something, begin taking steps today.
10. And a thought for you to ponder in that regard: What is defeat? Nothing but education; nothing but the steps to something better. -- Wendell Phillips
Hope your weekend is full of opportunity to love and live.
Hi, I'm Amy. When I'm not scouring the valley for the perfect new house, you can usually find me in the kitchen with a gaggle of kids. Chips, salsa and a Diet Coke are usually in hand.