Kitchen Series: Tall Dark + Handsome
In real estate there is nothing that can sell a house faster than the kitchen. It makes sense, the kitchen truly is the heart of the home. From big family dinners, to sciences experiements gone wrong & neighborhood dessert bars, the kitchen is where it all happens. This week, we'll be featuring some A-MAZING kitchens of all varieties...but today we are starting with the classic, tall, dark + handsome.
Tap the image for sourcing & without further adeiu...
See more kitchens I love on my Pinterest board.
Can we get a litter personal today? I feel like we're friends & I've got to tell you something, because it's something I have to remind myself all the time.
I've been asked on several occasions how I do what I do & I think the curiosity mostly stems from being a serial entrepreneur, not hesitating to create new opportunities & abandoning old ones. I mean, the idea of a 'working mom' isn't a new one, so I assume that's the curiosity? And I get it, but I've also come to learn that this is just how my mind works...I love ideas & have notebooks of them, so I'm sure at some point I'll pursue something else. Five years ago, that thought would have scared the bits out of me...now it excites me as I understand this idea & endeavor is building me for my next.
Every Sunday I re-do my letterboard for the week & then share them on my Saturday Six. I have this board right on my kitchen counter where everyone sees it multiple times a day. I've probably read this thought over a 100 times throughout the week & it's proven to be helpful for me & I hope you too.
In the end, it mostly boils down to this: 'If you think you can or you can't, you're right.' Both thoughts deliver the same message & I've found both to be true. And that is how I do what I do...and be sure of one thing, it doesn't matter what you do...it is just the doing that matters.
If you're not sure try this little experiment. Whatever it is you want to be the best at: mother, hair dresser, athlete, photographer, anything. Ask yourself this, 'If I was the best__________, how would I behave?' Then do that. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll perform & not second guess yourself in the process.
And now for the S I X:::
1. I have a little house project that is distracting me. I've got to figure out my TV wall...currently my dresser is acting as our TV stand & I'm kind of over it. It's like, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie...now that we got a new bed...well now I need my dresser back so I can get that finished. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace my family room rug too, because it sheds like you wouldn't believe. Any good ideas for me? Send them my way!
2. Spent time buying a new house with a client this week & my very favorite part of the whole thing was walking into what will be their new home & seeing her standing at the kitchen sink. I proclaimed, 'welcome home!' and she laughed. In that moment I knew she could see her life there in that home, standing at that kitchen sink, loving & serving those around her.
That's my favorite part of all this. Seeing people mentally move into their new homes & picture their lives there. Home is such a personal & sacred place that I don't ever take that moment for granted. It's a special one.
3. Headspace has changed my life. Haven't heard of it? Search in on the app store & download it now. It's a meditation app that my friend told me about & while I had be using another one prior, I love love love Headspace. It has been a game changer in keeping me centered & focused. Try it & tell me what you think!
4. I tried to figure out macros this week. Epic fail. I made some progress, but mostly just felt overwhelmed. Perhaps I"ll circle back in another week...or not & just continue with my chips + salsa lunches.
5. I walked these AMAZING model homes last weekend & I'm still processing it! Full tour will be up on the blog this week, but they were out.of.this.world. Thing living walls, floating beds (seriously) & outdoor bathtubs! Definitely gave me some 'someday house' ideas.
6. Grateful. This week was a busy week...as evidenced by my absence here, but it was full of goodness & opportunity & for that I am so very grateful. Thank you. Thank you for being a part of this & always supporting my endeavors. It does not go unnoticed & I have so much love for you.
1. This has been our motto this week...and at the rate we're going, I'm sure it will stay the same this week! It sits right on our kitchen counter & is one of my favorite mom-phrases. My other favorite is, 'check yourself before you wreck yourself.' Love for all my mom-so-hard moments.
2. Got this property in Chandler listed & ready for sale. It's an awesome house on 1/2 acre in Chandler. I'm a bit of a floorplan snob and this floorplan is really functional with 5 beds and 3.5 baths. You can get all the details on it here.
3. The most often asked question I get on IG stories is where are those sunglasses from? They are all here, here & similar here. The Loft is my go-to for sunglasses, cute & inexpensive so when I lose them of someone breaks them, I'm not too sad about it.
4. We're heading to Disneyland next month & my biggest concern is what I'm going to wear...its a tall order to be comfortable & decent looking from day to night and variable weather conditions. I'll probably need something new. This or this is at the top of my list.
5. Valentine's Day came & went. We had basketball practice & breakfast for dinner -- just how I like it. While I love a good holiday to acknowledge those I love, I love even more the simplicity & goodness of our everyday lives. But in the event you were wondering who actually keeps this ship afloat, its him.
6. Part of my 2017 goals was to write in my journal daily. Not long or drawn out, just a few thoughts or gratitudes for the day. I can say it's been helpful to keep my mind centered on what matters & grateful for the good that occurs daily. Loving this one & this one.
Home Tour: The Meadows by Maracay Homes
Several months ago I was able to attend the VIP event hosted by Maracay Homes at their newest Peoria location, The Meadows. I've shared bits & pieces on social media, but knew you'd want more than just bits & pieces. I'm obviously not as familiar with the West Valley as I am the East Valley, but I was really impressed with the surrounding location & its proximity to local amenities...i.e. Target. Read on for the full tour!
Home Inspiration: Poolside
If there is anything we are good at here in the Valley of the Sun, it is poolside living. In fact, each summer I think I can't hone my talents enough in this area, and yet each year, I get better at it. No shoes, no make up & post pool hair become the norm, and relaxed living is the goal. While the majority of people are still up to their eyeballs in snow, here in the Valley, we've already got summer on the brain. Not that we love the blistering heat in July, August & September, because we'll all tell you we hate it buuuuuut, we've also learned that it isn't too shabby to spend our worst-weather months poolside with friends & family. Ask us to go the to store at 3 pm though? Not a chance.
Whether you're comtemplating putting in a pool for this summer (now is the time to get going!) or already have one, here's some ideas up your poolside living this year. And before you go scrolling through this list of incredible outside spaces, take a deep breath & remember. Remember these 'spaces' are just spaces. My pool is amazing, but I can tell you it doesn't look like any of these. Does it have some components? Yes, but there is no butler bringing me a Diet Coke on cue. When you look at these pictures, I want you to imagine yourself in them with those you love. How would you use & function in them. Then go and look at your space...you'll quickly realize they probably don't look the same BUT they can probably function somewhat the same. Focus on that; the living aspect, not the stuff aspect. Because it is never about the stuff, it's about the living.
Then, bring some of those functional elements into your space. Last year, I added chairs I really love & a small table between them. This weekend I added more potted flowers to my space. It's a little thing, but as we add little by little in time our space will come to reflect us & our own way of living. Remind yourself one more time, it's not about the stuff, its about the living. Okay...click read more, now.
The Saturday Six
To see the whole project pictured above, click on the photo
1. Fake it until you make it. I'm a huge fan of podcasts. I'm pretty sure 50% of what gets me to the gym is knowing I've got a good podcast waiting for me. I listen mostly to business and real estate ones, but would love any recommendation you've got. This week I was listening to one and they were talking about body over mind, in the sense that it is easier to get your mind on board with something once your body is already doing it. I've found this to be so true. In every business venture I've started, or anything else for that matter, I couldn't map it all out in my mind, so I just started doing it...quickly my mind got on board and it often times went in better directions than I would have thought up in the first place. I've had a lot of people asking me how I started this or that, would a small group brainstorming session be helpful? I'm considering arranging one, let me know if it's something that would interest you. I know so many people might be hesitant to brainstorm ideas with other people, but I think in a small group setting it might work better than you think. Leave a comment or shoot me an email if that is something you'd be interested in.
2. Shark Tank miss. Did you watch this week's Shark Tank? I was legit yelling at my TV when they passed on Little Nomad. Brilliant idea.
3. I told my husband this week that I was ready to get rid of 50% of all our 'stuff.' Do you ever feel like you just walk around picking up stuff all day everyday?! It's too much. To my surprise, he was totally on board & then suggested we get started right away...in my closet. Creep.
4. Rose bush woes. I've planted 8 rose bushes two times now in the same place. The first round was a fail but I am determined to make these ones flourish. What might I be doing wrong? They are getting adequate sunlight -- so maybe my watering is off? Send all ideas!
5. Guac on. I love me some good guac and a football game to go with it. We make a really simple kind and it's basically no fail. Smash up your avocado, add a splash of lemon juice and about 1/2 tsp of both lemon pepper + garlic salt. Don't forget to taste test and then add more as needed.
6.I sent my kids to school yesterday and got them all excited that it was half day...only to realize it wasn't. #winning 😬 Thankfully they were good sports & didn't come home yelling at me.
So I finally put on my big girl pants & got a big girl bed. No more queen sized bed...with my body imprinted on it. Truth be told, my husband had been after me for a bit to get a new mattress. I was on board, but once we got a new mattress I knew it was going to spiral to a new bed, sheets, bedding...you know how it goes. While I love making those kinds of decisions for other people, I'm not the best at making them for myself. So I put it off.
Then my lack of sleep caught up with me & I realized my mattress was probably half my problem. It took coming to that moment for me to stop what I was doing long enough to figure out a new bed, along with bedding...Brooklyn Bedding to the rescue!
Hi, I'm Amy. When I'm not scouring the valley for the perfect new house, you can usually find me in the kitchen with a gaggle of kids. Chips, salsa and a Diet Coke are usually in hand.